I'm a Finnish researcher interested in society and technology. My current research focuses on
Computational social science and data science
- critical investigations, such as validity, reliability and practices of computational social science
- integration of social science theory with computational social science methods
- design research and human-computer interaction as research methods
- pedagogy of computational social science
- novel technology-enhanced environments that support participation
- political power and digital systems, including critical algorithm studies
- deeper theoretical and methodological integration between political science and human-computer interaction research (known as Political HCI)
Previously, I have also been interested in topics such as: supporting collocated interaction (public displays, backchannels). the interaction between traditional and new media, educational technology and social learning. I'm currently in the process of divesting my focus on these areas.
My research combines softer, non-technical side, with tools and ideas from computer science research, such as prototyping, coding, and, machine learning.
My background is in political science, which I studied at the University of Helsinki and gained both Bachelor's and Master's degree. I've also practised and studied computer science, which I've learned at Nokia Corporation and deepened my knowledge at the University of Helsinki through Bachelor's degree and a PhD.
Currently, I'm working at the Faculty of Social Science, University of Helsinki. My primary responsibility is to develop computational social sciences at Helsinki. This includes teaching them to students and supporting work conducted by the faculty using these methods. I also conduct my own research in the area of computational social science and digital democracy.
I also consult a Finnish software company Futurice, however, this work is under a strict NDA. Furthermore, I am a member of the Finnish Center for Artificial Intelligence's interdisciplinary group of experts FCAI Society and visiting researcher at the Department of Computer Science, Aalto University I'm also the co-founder of Rajapinta, the Finnish association for social science and information technology research. However, today I'm just a regular member (not part of the executive board) of Rajapinta.